An Update of My Bougainvillea Bonsai

These are two of the bougainvillea bonsais that I am working with. They both come from a large wood cutting.

Bougainvillea Bonsai - Multiple Trunk
March 2012



Bougainvillea Bonsai - Multiple Trunk
July 2012
Just let this bonsai grew undisturbed for a couple of months
Bogainvillea Bonsai -Mutliple Trunk
July 2012
After pruning (to grow more branches)
I'm really not into wiring bougainvillea bonsai branches especially this size for they are too brittle and easily breaks. I shaped my bougainvillea bonsai by combining the "clip and grow method" and by using an anchor to pull the branches down to desired position. As you can see on the picture below I used copper wire and tied it on another wire that is anchored on the pot. The branch on the lower part of the trunk is a sacrificial branch that would thicken and add taper to the trunk and would be cut down when it has serve its purpose. I grew this branch opposite my front view because by doing that any scar after pruning will be hidden. 

Bougainvillea Bonsai
March 2012
Bougainvillea Bonsai
July 2012


7 comments:

The bougainvillea bonsais are my favorite & I was searching about them since last two weeks. Today I saw your blog & your posts on bonsai plants. The posts are quite good & helpful too. Thanks!

It's beautiful! Cheers, Stephanie

Thanks Smike Ally and Stephanie for your wonderful comments.

How are the trees coming?

I just purchased a small starter of the pink pixie. I have read that you can remove everything off of the trunk and they will regrow? Is this true?

wow nice work with the bougainvilleas! I notice they're mostly started from woody stem cuttings. I have a very healthy 9yr old bougainvillea bush/thicket that grew to 20feet tall and kinda beyond control. I've just given it a major haircut & I'm now left with an 8foot skeleton ... 1foot trunk & multiple woody stems 2"-4" diameter. I wonder if I can take cuttings of these stems & root them for bonsai? Any tips how to start my bonsai adventure? I'll be reading your blog for inspiration :)

Thanks for the update - nice work!

I've just started my own bonsai website (Your Bonsai Tree) - would you be interested in writing a guest post for the site some time?

Where in Oz are you growing these trees?

Post a Comment